Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Leaving a Mark

Senior year, baby!

My life is about to go through some MAJOR renovations. And all due to that looming promise on the near horizon: GRADUATION!!! However, not all of these changes have to do with college, friends, family, etc.

Some are changes I am allowing God to perform in my own heart.

Last semester, my best friend John and I taught a bible study before school on Friday mornings. We led a varying-numbered group in a study of Hebrews 11, picking it apart expositionally. God really showed me a lot of things about faith... it's meaning, as well as it's important role in the Christian's life.

With this term concluding our high school career, we have decided that we will go out with a bang! We want to reach as many people for Christ as possible. We don't want our school and town to remember us as the Class with the most swagger, but the Class with the most love. Carrying our Bibles with us at all times is one way that we are staying prepared for whatever opportunities God presents.

However, since John presented this idea to me the day before school started back, I have had my doubts. I've made vows like this before... after, like, every single camp, DNW, conference, and good church service I've attended since my conversion. It wasn't until tonight that I truly believed that this task was possible. Tonight, my youth minister (also known as, Dad) taught a lesson on Acts 17:5-6. This passage showed me that even in Bible times, normal everday people were LITERALLY turning the world upside down for the cause of Christ. When Jason and the brothas were convicted of making a difference in their surroundings for Christ, they were convicted. They were found guilty. There was evidence that they were. They were leaving a mark...

As a follower of the Way, I want to leave a mark on the world. But that's not enough for me. As a Senior, I want to leave a mark on my school... on my friends, my co-workers, my teachers, my administrators. Every single-stinkin' person I come in contact with.

If it ever gets to the point in America where it's illegal to turn the world upside-down for Christ, I want to be convicted. I want to be found guilty.

2 comments:

  1. Very well said Rivers! May God bless you in a radical way for helping to share God's love! =)

    ReplyDelete